Q&A: A Complaint About My Service Animal

Q. When I became disabled, I applied to the board for approval for a companion dog. Upon approval, I signed an agreement that restricted the dog from certain areas and reiterated the dog could not be a nuisance to neighbors. I installed $6,000 of thick padding and carpeting as well as rugs. The dog has been fabulous and well-behaved.

Recently we have had children visit on a regular basis, three times a week, and they play with the dog for about 30 minutes. Other than a few times that they dog has run across the unit a few times at night, that’s really it. 

But then I received a letter from the board regarding the excessive, disruptive noise from my unit. What does this mean for my right to have this dog?

                                    —Distressed Tenant

A. “What considerations should the board make with respect to the unit owners request?” says attorney Charles Keough of the law firm of Keough & Moody, which has offices in Chicago and Naperville. “1) Is the unit owner disabled according to the FHA definition, i.e., does the unit owner have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities?


Related Articles

Q&A: Children Running Amok

Q&A: Children Running Amok

Pet Policies in Boards and Associations

From No Pets to Petopia

Q&A: Following the Noise

Q&A: Following the Noise